Spicy Tuna RollCourse: Dinner, Lunch, PartyCuisine: JapaneseDifficulty: Difficult
- 【Sushi Rice】
Kokuho Rice – 2 cups
Grain Vinegar – 50ml
Sugar – 1+1/3 tablespoons
Salt – 5g
- 【Sushi Roll】
Nori sheet – 2sheets
- ◆ Spicy Tuna Roll
Yellowfin Tuna Saku – 200g
Sriracha Hot Chilli Sauce – 1 tablespoon
Sesame Oil – 1 teaspoon
Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- 【For serving】
- Make Sushi Rice
- Prepare sushi vinegar by mixing vinegar, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Put the pan on low heat and heat until the sugar dissolves. And then cool it.
- Spread the hot steamed rice into a large plate or a large bowl.
*Use a nonmetallic bowl to prevent any interaction with rice vinegar.
- Sprinkle the vinegar mixture over the rice and fold the rice with a shamoji (rice spatula) quickly. Be careful not to smash the rice.
- Make Sushi Rolls
- Chop the raw tuna into small cubes, and combine with the Chilli sauce, sesame oil and lemon juice in a bowl and mix.
- Cover the bamboo mat with a piece of plastic wrap to prevent the seaweed or any stray rice from sticking to the mat. This also makes for easy cleanup.
Cut 1 nori sheet in half and then place it on top of the bamboo mat.
(The nori sheet has a rough side and a smoother side. Place the half nori with the rough side facing towards you.)
- With your hands or rice spatula still wet (otherwise the rice will stick) spread 1/4 portion of sushi rice along the nori to cover it equally.
*Don’t press the rice too much.
- When you are done, flip the nori over so no the rice is facing the bamboo mat, and the smooth side of the nori faces you.
- Place 1/4 of the tuna mixture lengthwise on the rice, making an even line of filling about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the nori.
- Roll up the bamboo mat from the bottom, pressing forward to shape the sushi into a cylinder.
Sprinkle with roasted sesame.
- Use a sharp and wet knife to cut the roll exactly down the middle. Each half you can cut in either 3 or 4.
- Garnish scallions and enjoy with soy sauce.