California RollCourse: Lunch, Dinner, partyCuisine: JapaneseDifficulty: Medium
- Cover the bamboo mat with a piece of plastic wrap to prevent the seaweed or any stray rice from sticking to the mat. This also makes for easy cleanup.
Cut 1 nori sheet in half and then place it on top of the bamboo mat.
(The nori sheet has a rough side and a smoother side. Place the half nori with the rough side facing towards you.)
- With your hands or rice spatula still wet (otherwise the rice will stick) spread 1/4 portion of sushi rice along the nori to cover it equally.
*Don’t press the rice too much.
- When you are done, flip the nori over so no the rice is facing the bamboo mat, and the smooth side of the nori faces you.
- Place crab stick and avocado lengthwise on the rice, making an even line of filling about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the nori.
This time we added salt, pepper and olive oil on it. Please use your favorite seasonings. Mayonnaise also recommended.
- Roll up the bamboo mat from the bottom, pressing forward to shape the sushi into a cylinder.
- Sprinkle with tobiko.
- Use a sharp and wet knife to cut the roll exactly down the middle. Each half you can cut in either 3 or 4.
Enjoy with soy sauce and wasabi.